Saturday, September 22, 2012

How Often Do You Bead?

From June:
As I sit here and read through all my Facebook posts and read the blogs I subscribe to, I feel like a failure. Why? Because everyone seems to spend a lot of time beading. As a designer, I feel like I should be beading ever day. And I'm not.

For example, yesterday after I took the dogs for their walk, I made kits and filled orders. I had (long) lunch with two people I used to work with - about my only social life these days! Went to the post office, cleaned up all the stuff I dragged out to make kits. Worked on a kit inventory so we know what to make for our next show, Bead Fest Texas. I spend the evening cutting a blanket into small squares to hold needles for our kits.


At least I picked out the colors for my next beading project, but don't know when I'll get to the actual beading.

What about you? How often do you bead?


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like that pesky thing called "work" getting in your way of beading. Some people call it their "real life" but either way, it does detract from our beading time.
    I used to be all the time, but not anymore..I have containers full of jewelry, just waiting for me to do something with it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Failure? I don't think so!

    You've written a best selling beading book and you're traveling all over the country teaching and selling your kits because you are in demand.

    You got the goods, honey, and we like them!

    Mommyhood has taken a huge chunk out of my beading time and I don't get to bead nearly as much as I used to, or would like to. So even though our reasons for not having much beading time aren't the same, you're at least not alone. Sometimes I miss me beads so much I want to cry.

    BTW, when I got home this afternoon I had two book waiting for me yours and Sabine's, so I'll be curling up with the two of you in bed tonight.

    The colors for your next beading project are gorgeous, so luxurious, and sooner or later you WILL be making something fabulous with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to bead everyday - but the business of beading does sometimes get in the way...

    We all need at least one day a week to get the biz side stuff done and home org stuff too.

    It's hard to fit everything into 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bead 'whenever I can" which just depends. Sometimes weeks go by...sometimes even months! I have other hobbies (knitting, crocheting, cross stitch, et) plus work, cats, etc...so there isn't enough time to do all the things we want to do. I try to just enjoy what I do, when I can. :-) Karen So Fla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bead daily. If I don't there's something that has stopped me like illness or travel. When I don't get to bead, I'm out of sorts. It really is therapy. Remember, you are only seeing what others are sharing with you. You aren't seeing their down times and failures. Plus, you are seeing a collective of work. Please don't compare yourself to everyone else. If you have to compare, pick one person and compare yourself to them. I'm sure you will find you are just as successful and accomplished as they are.

    ReplyDelete