Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Story Behind: Forever Tango

That blog post title sounds like a VH1 Special, doesn't it?

First up for our walk through the projects included in my upcoming book, Jill Wiseman's Beautiful Beaded Ropes, is a sleek little bracelet I named Forever Tango.


About the time I signed the contract to write the book, I was out shopping and found a cheap (bad quality) costume bracelet that had a really interesting intertwined rope. I shelled out $4.99 for it (told ya' it was cheap) as an inspiration piece. My interpretation of it is Forever Tango.

I wanted to keep it small scale, so I chose to work with all Size 15 seed beads. The bracelet would certainly work with Size 11s too, so if the 15s scare you, don't worry! It will make a larger piece, of course, but other than that there's no difference.

I considered adding some sparkle in the center of the two knots - by way of a crystal ring around the middle section - but in the end I decided I was most taken by the intricate weaving back and forth of the ropes and wanted that to be the star. I'd love to see it with that sparkle, though, if you're so inclined to add it!

One quick note: I found a small boo-boo in the text on this project - you're fine if you follow the illustration, and I know that's what y'all do most of the time anyway! But if you read the text on the section referring to weaving the ropes together, it says you add both circles the same way. In actuality, you add the second circle the opposite way to make them mirror image.

4 comments:

  1. I think that is awesome! I have been known to look at the "cheap stuff" and wonder how to make it into beads. This is one I will surely be making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that this uses 15s, I'm addicted to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. The pattern is in my book, Jill Wiseman's Beautiful Beaded Ropes.

      Delete