Monday, June 4, 2012

No Walk Monday

From June:

I take Winston and Maggie for a walk every day. Theoretically, it was supposed to help Winston lose a couple of pounds, but that hasn't happened. But now the walk is a daily ritual.

A month or so ago on one of our walks, a garbage truck came down the street and hit the air brakes when it was just a couple of feet in front of us. Winston freaked out. And ever since then, he is terrified of big trucks when we walk. Garbage trucks are the worst, but even noisy pick-up trucks and cars cause him great anxiety. I've tried everything I can think of and could find on the internet, but this seems to be permanent.

So when traffic is heavy on the street next to the walking trail, I divert into the neighborhood. (The only problem with that is there are no public trash cans for the poop bags as there are on the walking trail.) So the dogs are still getting their daily walks despite Winston's phobia. 

Except Monday, neighborhood trash pick-up day. It's just too hard to avoid the worst of the worst truck. So it's a "no walkies Monday" today
.

1 comment:

  1. Go to your local health food store and buy a bottle of Rescue Remedy. Put a full squirt in your hand and let the dog lick it off. Guaranteed to help settle his nerves. I use it all the time myself, and whenever my cat Bob is stressed from thunder. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete