Friday, April 13, 2012

The Dog Bed

From June:  Years ago, after Jill and I first discovered we could make jewelry, we tried selling our finished projects. It was all strung stuff. We used quality materials, .i.e., all sterling components. And we watched everyone admire our work, then walk on down to the booth that had the cheap imports and buy there. We never made very much money..

One weekend we were working a show in an un-airconditioned metal shed. In Texas. It was awful. Jill probably remembers more details than I do. I think I've blocked it out. Across from us a nice lady was selling beautiful wooden dog beds, and she had brought her cute, tiny dog to the show.  She wouldn't let us take her dog home with us, but we did buy one of the dog beds. They were so cute, with a fur animal print mattress, and matching blanket and bone-shaped pillow. As I recall, we spent more on the dog bed than we made the entire weekend.

When we got it home, neither of our dogs would have anything to do with it. I was crushed! It was so cute! So it went in the garage. Over time, we got new dogs, but they all turned up their noses at the it. The bed was too nice and too expensive to just throw away, so I put it up on Craigslist. Twice. Not a single call.Still, I refused to throw it out. 

Last week, as I was doing some garage organizing, I came across the bed again. It really had to go. I decided to take it outside to see if the dogs or either of the cats would use it out there. (It's kind of like putting leftovers in the refrigerator, knowing you'll never eat them, but it's a step toward the garbage can.)

SCORE! Miss Piper has decided the bed is perrrfect for her. The last few nights she hasn't even come inside, because she's sleeping in that darn bed! At last SOMEONE will use the bed and I don't have to throw it out.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cute. I'm glad somebody appreciates it!

    BTW, I pre-ordered your Ropes book on Amazon and am looking forward to getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny....i had a similar thing that happened to me...i bought a wicker bed for our cats on ebay that was shaped like a cat. for years it sat on the lanai and the cats turned their noses at it...never touched it. finally i said to my husband. "i'm going to sell this on ebay." from that night on, the cats fight over who is going to spend time on it. I guess they didn't want it to go.

    ReplyDelete