Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Accomplishments, big and small


I have confessed more than a few times on this blog that I lack a certain amount of work ethic unless I've got deadlines to keep me on track. I think I may have found another thing that will kick me into high gear - getting so hopelessly behind that I'm about to lose my tenuous grip on control.

It's finally gotten to the point where I can't really even function in a reasonable manner - the scramble to get ready for the Shreveport Retreat was really the last straw. I came home to chaos everywhere. EVERYWHERE! So the last few days, I've buckled down and I'm making amazing dents in these literal and virtual piles. (Note: photo is NOT our actual house. Just an example.)

My email inbox was up to 200+ emails that needed action in some way, shape, or form from me. As of this moment, I've got it down to 82, and I plan on whittling away at it more every day this week. Goal: less than 20 by the end of the week. So if you've been waiting on info or a response on something from me, hold tight. I'm almost there.

I had every nook and cranny of the house covered with beads and boxes and paper and who even knows what else under all that. Class table in the teaching studio? Covered. Chairs around the table? Covered. Kitchen ledge? Unviewable under the beads. Coffee and side tables in the living room? Is there a surface under there??? Desk. Covered. Bead Room. I don't even want to talk about it.

My poor, sainted mother. She's no stranger to the messes that follow me everywhere, but this was TOO TOO much. She even voiced a desire to move to a two-story house where my clutter and I could be contained to the upper level. I don't blame her a bit. In fact, it's not a bad idea....

In the meantime, however, I had to regain the upper hand. I spent time on filing today. Email. Mailing packages. Putting things away (or at least consolidating them to a category pile so I can tackle those piles as I shuffle everything around.) And the boxes! Ohmigosh...you just don't know how much packaging for all these supplies I end up tossing. Boxes within boxes containing bags within bags. I hauled two full bags out to the trash tonight of mainly paperwork and boxes and their wrappings.

Please don't misunderstand me. This house is not clean yet. I have more days ahead of me. But I'm seeing progress and it's spurring me on. Just don't ask me where that one thing you gave me that one time to do something with is. I haven't found that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment