Friday, September 5, 2008

How much change is enough?

I finished working on a project tonight that turned out absolutely gorgeous, if I do say so myself. I'm conflicted, though, on whether it's something I can submit for the national shows as a class proposal. It was inspired by another beader's published work, so the big question is - how much do I need to change it to make it my own design?

It's a tough line to watch in the beading world. There are only so many ways you can put together beads, and there's bound to be overlap. When it comes right down to it, there are X number of stitches in seed bead weaving, and none of those can be claimed the exclusive right of anyone. So instead we have to use our ethics-o-meter when designing new projects. The problem is that everyone's boundaries can be different.

So I think I'm going to run this one by a few of my beady mentors/friends, and see what the general consensus is. In the meantime, I've already thought of a new variation of my own design that will take it even farther from the original project and I'm sure that will be enough of a change to pass the rigors of public scrutiny.

And then, maybe, I'll share it with you guys! (I'm such a tease!)

The funny story of the night also relates to this darned project. I was so close to finishing around 11pm tonight, but there were certain beads I needed to do it. I was bound and determined to find those beads - the problem? They were "somewhere in the bead room." That's kind of like finding a needle in a haystack, the way things were looking in the poor dumped upon room. So I started at one end, and actually started putting things away. Amazing the things I uncovered! But not those special beads I needed. I kept working. Next thing I know, it's almost 3 hours later and the bead room is on the road to a much needed recovery! Woo-hoo! And yes, I finally found the dang beads! But by the time I did, and then finished the project, well...now it's 4:30am, and I'm just now trotting off to bed. So much for getting on a more regular sleep schedule! Oops. (It was worth it, though!)

No comments:

Post a Comment